February 4, 2022. Hey, I have a new poetry chapbook called Oyster Knife that was published by Bottlecap Press. This is a collection of poems I wrote over the last few years. It's named after the kind of knife you use for shucking oysters, for cracking them open and cutting out the meat.
“That era has passed. Nothing that belongs to it exists anymore.”
December 4. A small note on the Rocky Horror Picture Show, one of my all-time favorite movies.
October 3. I had two poems published in Sobotka! Sobotoka is a cool lit mag based in Chicago.
August 21. I moved to Chicago!
July 16. I made a mixtape of songs I used to listen to when I was really sad from 2003–2008. This is stuff I would listen to when I was a sad, angsty teenager living in the suburbs of the Midwest during the delirium of the Bush years. Here is the tracklist in case you want a preview:
- Tilly and the Wall - Nights of the Living Dead (Wild Like Children, 2004)
- WHY? - Broken Crow (Almost Live from Anna's Cabin, 2003)
- Bright Eyes - Poison Oak (I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning, 2005)
- Sleater-Kinney - Modern Girl (The Woods, 2005)
- The Moldy Peaches- Nothing Came Out (The Moldy Peaches, 2001)
- Hymie's Basement - Lightening Bolts and Man Hands (Hymie's Basement, 2003)
- Xiu Xiu - I Luv the Valley OH! (Fabulous Muscles, 2004)
- The Dresden Dolls - 672 (The Dresden Dolls, 2004)
- Xiu Xiu - Fast Car (A Promise, 2003)
- Tegan and Sara - Nineteen (The Con, 2007)
- Bright Eyes - Saturday As Usual (A Collection of Songs Written and Recorded 1995-1997, 1998)
- Modest Mouse - Bankrupt On Selling (The Lonesome Crowded West, 1997)
- CocoRosie - Hairnet Paradise (live on C4's "Slash Music" program, 2005
- Adrian Orange - yyy bee (live at 321 Art Space in Kennewick, WA, 2007
- Thee Silver Mt. Zion - Horses In the Sky (Horses in the Sky, 2005)
I just watched a TV show called We Are Who We Are. It's a coming-of-age story about children of US soldiers, growing up on an Army base in Italy. Of the two main characters, one is (probably) gay and the other is (probably) trans. The show seems pretty well made. It is moving and sometimes beautiful and also fun. And it avoids being jingoistic, I think, even though there are a lot of characters who are soldiers or are from military families. (Which is important, because fuck the US and fuck the US military forever. 🙂)
June 20. 🎵 🎹 🎵 I built a little softsynth in C++! I wrote about it here.
June 2. I added my site to the webring.gay webring. A webring is a bunch of people who link their websites together, like an online biker gang. You can check out the other sites by clicking the links at the bottom of this page.
Also, here are a couple cool gay songs I learned about from Rowan Davis's excellent essay on folk punk:
April 27. I was wondering about how artificial intelligences are often designed to seem female. I decided to ask the AIs directly about their gender. Here's what they had to say.
Not much else to report. Here are some songs I've been listening to recently.
- billy woods (feat. Pink Siifu, AKAI SOLO) - "Long Grass"
- Julia Bondar - "Ground Control / Red Dress Mood"
- Lost Wisdom - "O My Heart"
April 20. The punx of the day is "Punks in the Beerlight" by the Silver Jews.
I made an experimental Webpage. I wanted to play around with some CSS animations and selectors. Check it out if you want.
I just bought a Roland MC-101, which is a drum/synth machine with a four-track sequencer. I'm looking forward to mucking with it. I wanna try to make some tunes.
I'm reading A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin now. Some of the editions have really cool artwork.
In 38th Parallel North news, today is one of the latest snowfalls on record. Cover up your plants!
Today is April 11. I updated the CSS to make this site look a little nicer. Does it look OK to you? I'm writing all of the HTML and CSS by hand.
I also added the
"Circled Ideograph Advantage" emoji
U+1F250) as the favicon,
which I think means "good bargain" in Japanese. I don't think I've ever had a favicon before!
I just checked out the only issue of the Tank Girl comic that my local library has, Tank Girl: Two Girls, One Tank. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Today is April 3, 2021. I hope to put some more stuff up here soon.